Venue: Caltanissetta (Italy) Limassol (Cyprus)
Programme Youth in Action – Action 1.3 – Youth Democracy Projects
Youth Democracy Projects promote the active participation of young people to the life of their local, regional, national and international communities and the support to their participation to representative democracy mechanisms. They are aimed at young people between 13 and 30 years of age.
“A European Young Citizens’ Initiative” is a Youth Democracy Project funded by the programme “Youth in Action”, sub-action 1.3, involving 252 young people from 14 different organisations of Italy, Cyprus, Portugal, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Poland, Romania. The project encourages both the reflection on and the practice of the right of initiative for European citizens. The “European Citizens’ Initiative”, introduced in the Treaty of Lisbon, allows citizens as such to ask the European Commission to propose new laws on specific themes. The initiatives can involve any sector on which the Commission has the right to propose laws, such as environment, agriculture, transport, public health.
The objectives of the project are:
- Promoting active citizenship as well as the participation of young people to the development of society in general and of the EU in particular;
- Encourage an intercultural debate among young people on EU political issues, particularly on those directly affecting their lives.
- Strengthen and recognise young people’s rights to participate to the democracy system in the EU.
– Local focus groups in each partner Country: Italy, Cyprus, Portugal, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Poland, Romania.
– International workshop in Caltanissetta, Italy, 06-11 December 2013
– International workshop in Limassol, Cyprus, April 2014. 01-06 April 2013
– Final Pamphlet: “A European Young Citizens’ Initiative”
– Dissemination and valorisation of final results.
– PRISM-Promozione Internazionale Sicilia-Mondo, IT
– Arteca Onlus, Association for cooperation and development in education, IT
– 100% Aventura Desporto e Natureza1, PT
– Clube Volei de Evora, PT
– Europejskie Stowarzyszenie Młodych Regionalistow, PL
– The European Cooperation Centre “Young Europeans”, PL
– Marijampolės mokinių parlamentinė grupė, LT
– Viešoji įstaiga “Sveikatingumo idėjos”, LT
– EUROREGIONS, BG
– Voice of the Youth, BG
– B-Right Media Association, RO
– Asociatia Renasterea Botosaneana, RO
– DOREA Educational Institute WTF, CY
– Teach and Love It, CY
Download the booklet “A European Young Citizen Initiative”:
Click here to access the project’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/youngcitizensiniziative
Click here to download the project’s brochure: BROCHURE
"The European Commission support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents which reflects the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein."